Experience is a Doorway, Not a Final Destination- Oswald Chambers

Tuesday, April 20

Meat and Nightmares

I need to hear your opinion, oh wise ones-

I am thinking about cutting red meat out of my diet as well as going all natural.  Thoughts?  Concerns?  Am I crazy?  Do you have to be handsomely wealthy to even ponder such a thought? 

I just recently watched Food, Inc. and it made me want to become a hermit, plant a garden, live on a farm and boycott most of the food in the grocery stores. If you haven't seen it, do (unless you have a phobia of giant corporations- then it will give you nightmares). 

On my first trip to the grocery store after watching the show, I winced while passing by the red meat aisle. All I could think was, there is ammonia in that there meat.  And did you know that almost every package of hot dogs contains corn syrup?  Gag.

I am surrounded by farmers and gardeners, so I have options.  Should I take the plunge?

 

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, I watched that movie about 2 weeks ago.
also, being that I work at Whole Foods and get all sorts of educated on this stuff, I think that you should definitely take the plunge with all of your heart.

try it at least.

And it's your diet, however you wish it to be. You don't have to be confined to being a vegetarian, a carnivore, an herbivore, a vegan, a fruitarian or an anythingarian.

Go with the allisonarian.

(is that enough cheese for ya?)

tabathaanne said...

Cutting out red meat is always the way to go! However, even if you don't... eating organically is a really good move. It is a little more pricey, but by going to farmer's markets, fish markets, and fruit stands, etc... you can find really good bargains. I am actually allergic to the hormones they put in meat, and eating organically saves me a lot of abdominal pain.

I cheat sometimes and eat whatever is available, specially if its a money crunching week... but whenever I can afford to all out grocery shop organically, I do! If you can't get to a market, greenwise products from Publix are the next best thing... they have organic chicken and it is so NUMMY!!!

allisongraber said...

I think that I am going to have to do mostly natural and pick and choose a few things that are not. Our budget is kind of tight right now- but the other day while I was at the store they had some awesome sales on organic stuff. Too bad there aren't any Publix or Whole Foods around this area. I loved them both while I was in Florida.

It seems as if the overall consensus is to go for it. On my next grocery trip, I am going to do it. Gives me the chills. :)

Anonymous said...

I recommend the book "Eat Right for Your Type" and "Cook Right for Your Type"
They changed my life...until I changed it back. But I always remember how good I felt during that time in my life.
Go for it! It's tough at first, but after the first couple of weeks, you won't regret it.
Love,
Kim

Anonymous said...

awesome blog, do you have twitter or facebook? i will bookmark this page thanks. lina holzbauer

allisongraber said...

I am on Twitter, Facebook and Google + under Whimbly. My website has actually moved to whimbly.com, so if you would like to read my updated posts, feel free to go there!